Erasmus Summer Programme Courses
Take a look at all the courses in the Erasmus Summer Programme, and find the course right for you.View all ESP courses
Data Science in Epidemiology [ESP80]
17 August 2020
21 August 2020
Monday to Friday (5 mornings)
From 8:45 till 11:45
Dr. Daniel Bos, Dr. Gennady Roshchupkin
Basic understanding of biostatistics, and epidemiology (as covered in ESP03 and ESP01).
Basic knowledge of programming (experience with R, python or any other scripting language)
Detailed information about this course:
- Dr. Gennady Roshchupkin, PhD
- Dr. Daniel Bos, MD, PhD
Data science is a multi-disciplinary field that uses scientific methods and algorithms to extract knowledge and insights from structured and unstructured data. Recent advances in technology allows for the collection of enormous amounts of health-related data. Consequently, skills pertaining to handle and manipulate these data and to extract relevant information have become crucial to perform high quality research. Unfortunately, many researchers without a technical background frequently experience troubles obtaining or developing these skills. The aim of this course is to bridge this gap in knowledge by providing an interactive and hands-on programme about data science and how it can be applied in epidemiological research.
- Data Science
- Machine learning
- Understand the concept of data science in epidemiological environment;
- Apply basic skills of Python and Jupyter notebooks for data science: the most popular and efficient for high-performance scientific analysis programming language;
- Apply the general methods of data visualization using Python;
- Understand Machine Learning methods and neural networks algorithms in epidemiology.